
Due, in part, to these new beauties...
They say only a bad player blames poor performance on the equipment. Alas, I am a bad player. I could NOT get used to these new cleats. Kicking the top of the ball, running my guts out and just full on face planting it AT LEAST 4 times. FOUR TIMES!!! No ball in sight, no player rough housing me--NOTHING! I got these grass-burns because of my own clumsiness!!!
But lets call a spade a spade. It's not the shoes. The real reason is that I'm out of shape. My brain is trying to get my body to cooperate, but it's just...well, slower, more tired and working hard to get those extra pounds down that field!
This is exactly WHY I picked up soccer again though. To get back in shape, and to reignite an old passion. Frustration? You bet. But determination overpowers the frustration and I WILL prevail. I'm remembering exactly what brought me to the field in the first place...the smell of the freshly cut grass, pre-game excitement, the feeling of a perfect pass, the "oh, please, oh please--hit me in the right spot" header, a defensive save, those sore muscles after a game. And nothing beats the camaraderie of teammates. I lucked out with a team that is filled with sisters, old friends and some fun new ones who are kind, forgiving and (hopefully) trying to just enjoy it and have fun.
Because I'm really trying to avoid the treadmill. I'm much more motivated to run if it's after a ball!
7 comments:
Oh wow... you are so brave. I was never good at team sports... they required much to much coordination. I don't have much of that. Good luck with it though... you'll be awesome in no time at all!
Oh, my goodnes, Kates,
Let's hope you don't destroy the body you're trying to improve :) Seriously, I'm so proud of you for going after it! Couldn't love you more playing/ not playing - baby lbs / no baby lbs. You're the absolute bomb-diggity!
Love,
Mother
I'm a bit evnvious, I never had the talent quite like you. Way to go for getting out there again! Have fun!!! You deserve it.
After Michael I tried playing raquetball again. I wasn't so bad before he was born. And seriously, my body couldn't keep up with my spirit. I ran for the ball, tripped and floor burned my leg- making a hole in my pants! It would've been cool if I was close to the ball...
You better plan to stay with it forever. I love our team...and really I only saw you fall once...and you actually didn't fall cuz I caught you! If it makes you feel any better by next summer my body wont be working right cuz I will be the one who just had a baby...and by the way...thanks for the cupcake. It truly was amazing.
Way to go, Katie! I started my post-baby running a week ago, and I totally know how you feel! It's pretty hilly here, and my lungs moan and groan all the way. Here's to progress!
Good for you! Soccer is way better than a treadmill (not that I really know cuz I've never played soccer, but I have ran on a treadmill and anything is better than that)!
Post a Comment