Sunday, July 06, 2008

HE DID IT!!!!!!




So our LONG path towards self-sufficiency has finally arrived! We're coming up on anniversary number 10 folks, and as long as we've been together, Case has been a student or in training. While I'd like to be humble at a moment like this and not toot his horn, well... forget it.


"Rooty-toot-toot" Casey Owens graduated from residency!!!



When you're in college, people talk about how hard med school is. And they're right. It's harder, and yet more rewarding in so many ways than you can ever imagine. What no one even whispers about is residency. Because there is no way on this lovely, green earth that ANYONE whose survived it would trade spaces with anyone just at the cusp (sorry Ricky, Angela, Jared...oh the list could go on;) Here I speak as if I know, when even I only witnessed it. Long, hard hours and a life that feels like it lives at the hospital, particularly the first few years. Thus, quality family time was re-defined, shown lovingly by Ty-guy...



To celebrate graduating, the department put on a fun event at La Caille and we got to get all dolled up (Okay, as nice as a 1 month post partum lady can look!!) and enjoyed a wonderful evening with fellow residents. Each graduate is recognized with some kind words about them and as I looked over at Casey, he started to tear up (of course muttering something about how there was just SO much dust around here!:) But these are people that had come to mean so much to him. The nicest, most complimentary things were said about my husband and I was nothing shy of proud.



So now when I get that anesthesia bill and think "Holy smokes! For a procedure that only took 5 minutes", or a visit with my OB that lasted 10, I'm reminded that there are many hours, weeks, months and years of studying, training, & plain old surviving that took place so I could safely receive care. I know, I know, easy for me to say now that we're on the OTHER side of receiving the payment!



Oh, and as his graduation present to himself, he got a baby. "Baby Bree" you must be saying to yourself, right? Oh no, something a little bit faster...



Boys and their toys! Way to go, hon--I love you...

13 comments:

Jenny P. said...

Yeah for Casey!!! Congrats on making it through. What an accomplishment!

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

Way to go Casey! That is SO awesome! Now you can start MAKING money instead of spending it! YEAH!!

Amy D said...

Congrats, you guys. That's so very exciting!!!

Julie said...

Wow...congrats to you both. Thats pretty cool! And I won't swear too much when I get my medical bills. lol! I don't ever swear...come on!

Rachele said...

Katie! That's great that he's done with his residency! Holy smokes what a huge accomplishment! This anatomy class is hard Katie! My lab professor hates me...really. He has made me feel stupid a few times in front of the whole class. Yikes. Anyway, I'm bustin' my pa-tooty for this class! I don't know how you did Nursing School! WoW you're incredible!

Jodi said...

Congrats! Way to hang in there guys!

swensen squeeze said...

Congrats! You do deserve it! We are so happy for you!

Kristi said...

Wow. I can't believe it's over. YEA! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! I don't think many can appreciate this accomplishment more than I. Only one more year to go....

Oh, and woo hoo for the new fancy car too. I think poor Todd is going to be driving "my my my myyyy Corolla!" for many years to come. (did you get that??)

kto1s said...

My my my mmmy Sharona?

Yeah, I got that. I hijacked Katie's email, sorry...and thanks for the comment. Hang in there; you'll be making 3x what I make and living the good life very soon...

Casey

Britney said...

CONGRATS Casey! I have to admit I was relieved when Russ changed from pre-med to business before we got married because I'm too big of a wimp to be a med school widow. But now you'll have the last laugh when you're making the big $$$,$$$! We love you and your family! You're awesome! So what kind of car is it? Can't tell from the photo...

cam said...

Congrats Casey! I can't believe you are done. Does it really happen? I am so happy for you.
Cami

cam said...

Congrats Casey! I can't believe you are done. Does it really happen? I am so happy for you.
Cami

Allen Family said...

So I'm a little behind on this, but congrats, kiddos! I can't even imagine, well, I can imagine and all I can say is I sure didn't have it in me to marry a doctor. My b/f's hubby just advanced to 2nd-year resident at Harvard and hearing what life is like for them blows my mind. Doctor's wives are amazing, strong women!