Ty was playing with one of his closest buddies who happens to also be my cousin last week. They get along so well and just love any minute they can spend together--love these boys!
But this playdate took a tragic turn! They happened to be at another cousins house and decided to go into 11-year old Spencer's room to play with his toys and his hamster, Phil. Shall I preface this right now with the fact that Spencer ADORES this hamster? As in, he insisted on holding his beloved pet in the family Christmas Card photo because he loves it so much, not to mention that he happens to be one tender, sweet 11-year old boy!
Well, somehow the little boys got Phil caught between two objects and couldn't figure out how to get him out on their own. My little cousin ran up to get his mom, but it was too late, and Phil had passed on... Oh Dear!
We feel SOOOO bad for poor Spencer! How do you make restitution for something like that? And what are we going to do if the law passes that makes cruelty to animals more than a misdemeanor?!? Okay, this is not an appropriate time for humor...
Well, we made a treat and Tyler hand wrote a letter:

We hope the relationship will be preserved!
10 comments:
Oh! Poor Phil! Spencer must be crushed. Poor Ty too- that was probably pretty tramatic! I remember when my friend and I vacuumed her hamster up into the wall vacuum! Well, what can you do...kids will be kids!
Oh my!!! That is a tragic turn! I'm so sorry that all those boys had to be so traumatized! I know how dearly Spencer loved Phil! I know Tyler did too! We learn a lot about life in these little things, don't we? Give Tyler our love, and Spencer too! Nice thing is, kids don't hold grudges, and this too shall pass, right? Love ya!
Don't worry Phil will be missed but Spencer has moved on. He got a pet egg at school that he has to take care of for a week. Apparently he just likes taking care of something.
Poor "ham ham", that's what we call them around here. I'll tell you, my boys are really kind and safe with their pets, but once we had a dwarf hamster that lasted about 12 minutes. It was OK tho, we got a refund, and no charges were made against us. RIP, now I understand the term "Pet Cemetery" that's my back yard.
That is the saddest EVER! We had to call Rosalie right after this and get the dirty details! What a tragic ending to a lovely hamster. And you are so nice to bring Spencer some nice things to help him feel a little better!
How tender! It's a good thing this family loves each other so much!
So Everett said if I talked to you I was supposed to let you know he went to see "Horton Hears a Who" also. Hee hee, he and Wy wanted to go after he heard Ash was, so when Cam got home, I sent them all off. I should thank you for that break. Jackie
Ok, so I'm impressed w/Tyler's writing abilities! He has such nice penmanship for a preschooler! What a smarty pants.
ah, sadness. I have a totally inappropriate comment to make here, but I'll refrain and share it with you in person. :-)
So sad! I remember when I accidently killed my hamster by leaving it in its cage one summer afternoon in the shade. Too bad nobody told me that the sun moved! The poor little buggers fried. I assume this is why you called me last week. I think you handled the situation perfectly. I miss you! Please call!
Post a Comment