Thursday, January 14, 2010

The unexpected

Wait...wha? The holidays already came and went and we're half way through January?!?

Our Christmas was wonderful--all the great traditions, parties, family members from near and far and just loved being all together with no school, work, responsibilities and new toys!

But it was the unexpected things that really brought the focus for me...

The shot below is probably a little bit more what reality looks like. One kid giving the "up-the-nostril-shot" look, one with his eyes half shut, one not paying attention and saying cheese to the opposite side of the room, and the littlest one having a major melt-down. Yes--THIS is reality--OUR reality and it shows personality, frustration, love and happiness all in one simple shot.

It's un-posed, raw and as real as it gets.
Unexpected #1:
On December 22nd, I noticed that Tink's ear looked a little, well, pushed out. Like Dopey from Snow White. I cocked my head from side to side, just to make sure I hadn't put her pigtails in cockamaimy-ed. She'd had a fever that started the night before, but we figured it was your run-of-the-mill kind of virus. I mentioned it to Casey and he called the peds office and we got her right in. Poor little thing got sent to Primary's for a visit to the ER, an unsedated CT scan, and won herself a stay in the hospital with IV antibiotics. Somehow she got an ear infection that decided to spread into her skull and threatens to go to the brain without some potent medicine to ward it off!



Does anything bring your focus into view quicker than when a loved one is sick or suffering? I looked around the hospital at all of the truly sick children and their families & was impressed by their stamina, courage and will. I counted the many blessings I could hold within my embrace--all 5 of them. I didn't care about the presents, or the parties, or the lame distractions that I can get so caught up in without even realizing it. I got to nuzzle up close to Tink and just breathe her in, and thank Heavenly Father for blessing me so abundantly with each child in my care, for my dear husband and each loved one in my life.


Unexpected #2:
Of all the holday decorations I have, these were my favorites of 2009:
This created memories and a jumping board for ideas of real family time together.

This olive wood set reminds me of my time in the Holy Land, but this year in particular, I found it "staged" differently everyday. It was fun to listen to Tink reenact the Nativity Story in her own little way.
And I think I choked on my drink when one time, I overheard her putting the baby in time out.
There he is.
On the side.
In time out.
Classic.
Have you ever heard the song, "I Cry the Day that I Take the Tree Down"? I really didn't mind taking all of the decorations down. But I still can't bring myself to take down the Christmas Cards from family and friends. What is wrong with me?!?
It's a reminder of enjoying the past memories with those we don't see often & catch up on their lives. It helps me appreciate and enjoy those that are in my life now. These relationships are what matter most to me and THAT is how I can carry the spirit of Christmas with me throughout the year.


Here's to a grand 2010!!!

9 comments:

Laura said...

Sweet little Tink! Hope she got better quick! The kids in front of the tree is such a cute shot with their sweet little smiles! :) I love the baby Jesus in time out!

cam said...

Hey I hope everything is alright! What a crazy, busy, fulfilling life! Thanks for the reminder about what is important.

Britney said...

Great post Katie! I was just thinking that I was missing your blog and there you are posting again. I had no idea that Tink had been hospitalized! What a blessing that her mother is a nurse and her father is a doctor--so smart and observant. Glad all is well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

emily mcd said...

I simply couldn't love you more.

Alex, Brad, Carly & Devin said...

I had no idea your little one was there! I am glad she is alright and you caught it in time. Looks like you had a great Christmas unexpected and all. I just love your cute little family. The kids christmas pictures is adorable! Good pictures of us are few and far between too!

Trainer Momma said...

I hate taking those cards down. That is my favorite Christmas tradition, hands down. I just send them out so I can get more sent to me! I also love Christmas lights. Those are like a gift from my neighbors to me (since we've never buckled down and put up lights). Glad your little one is OK. A bit nerve wracking, I'm sure!

connie said...

We are so glad everything is OK. Hang in there. Uncle Bill and Aunt Connie

traske.melissa said...

don't worry katie, my xmas cards are still up too!! it's just to fun to walk by and see all of our great friends who we wish we could be with all the time.

Amy D said...

Wow, what a scary thing with your little Tink! I've never heard of that. What a great Mom you are to notice it and get her in so quickly. And thank heavens for modern medicine. So glad she's OK!